At Stansteel, we are proud of the quality of our products and the extensive industry knowledge of our team. But we also boast a long history and rich background experience that make us a valuable business partner today and in the future. Below, learn more about Stansteel’s history.
In the early 1900s, Stansteel began manufacturing
After World War II, the country, especially the West coast, went from steady to explosive growth. Stansteel was there to meet every requirement for both portable and stationary asphalt plants and eventually consolidated its manufacturing operations in Long Beach, CA. From this west coast location, Stansteel distributed plants all over North America and to the many new developing economies in South America and Asia. Once the Interstate Highway Bill was enacted by Congress in 1956, the construction of roads and the demand for Stansteel plants was at its peak. The demand for highly mobile and self-erecting portable asphalt plants led to Stansteel’s development of its TM (Trailer Mounted) Series of plants. The Stansteel TM plants became the model for many of today’s portable and self-erecting plants. During this largest public works project in our nation’s history, Stansteel built new plants at the rate of one per WEEK. Many of the owners of Stansteel plants have become major, multi-state contracting companies that are today’s leaders of the Hotmix Asphalt Industry.
In the early 1970’s, Stansteel was sold to Allis-Chalmers. Allis-Chalmers closed Stansteel’s Long Beach facility and consolidated many of its multiple product line operations in Appleton, WI. Unfortunately, very few of the top Stansteel personnel chose to relocate from sunny southern California. Stansteel eventually went into a dormancy until purchased in the early 1980s by Green Steel of Longview, TX. Green Steel continued to service the Stansteel customers with parts, field service
Since moving to Louisville, Stansteel developed a line of counterflow design plants with high recycle capability and a wide range of production rates. Many of these plants are in the 400-, 500-tons per hour and higher ranges, with one custom designed plant having design standards of over 900 tons per hour. These plants feature the latest in green technology, energy, and efficiency as well as the ability to process materials such as recycle, shingles and waste materials within specifications required by state and other governmental units. The plants generally feature multiple storage silos and are capable of achieving award-winning results with the help of precision Total Plant Control offered by the Accu-Track™ Control System. This Accu-Track Control System has been developed over a 20+ year period and features the interlocking of virtually all components on a plant to help avoid any deviation from the material set points. Many closed loop features are built into the controls so that if a specific component or piece of equipment is set at a certain level of flow, there is separate circuitry to verify and ensure that this flow rate is achieved.
For almost a century, Stansteel has led the way in designing and manufacturing high value
- The highly mobile TM (Trailer Mounted) Self-Erecting Asphalt Plants with many related patented designs.
- Large counterflow dryers such as the 10’-8” x 45’ Counterflow Dryer that was offered as early as the mid-1960’s.
- Large stationary multiple storage silos for use on urban plants.
- The first baghouse installed on asphalt plants in California in the 1960’s.
- Recycle applications for batch plants and drum mixers including the development of the Turbo RAP Gator® Recycling Breaker.
- Rotary Recycle Mixers™ for retrofit on either existing batch plants or on parallel flow drums to take the liquid asphalt mixing out of the air stream.
- Introduction of the Select-A-Mix™ which is the best combination of both batch plant and continuous drum mix plant recycling features.
- The Double Drum Recycling System™ featuring a large counterflow dryer and Rotary Mixer to achieve high levels of performance and low downtime.
- The largest plant in the world – a 900 ton per hour designed unit with 12’ dia. x 50’ Dryer; Rotary Recycle Mixer™; 150,000 ACFM Baghouse and multiple Silos. The unit has run over 1,000,000 tons in a single year.
- Extended counterflow drum mix dryers and plants for higher levels of
recycleand shingle processing.
- The Accu-Shear™ Advanced (Patent-Pending) Multi-Purpose Liquid Asphalt Inline Blender.
From its beginning, Stansteel has been building quality complete plants and rugged replacement components, all based upon what the asphalt plant producers needed for their operations. By the end of the 20th Century, Stansteel had supplied over 1,600 asphalt plants all over the world.
Stansteel continues to lead the way in both technologically developed systems for